Friday, May 31, 2013

Just imagine...

I love the group blogging that is called "Five Minute Fridays." Today's topic is imagine.

 Yesterday I went to the doctor for my pre-op for my cochlear implant surgery. I'm very excited about hearing again, but am also scared of the procedure and the life-changes that accompany it. Throughout the pre-op process, I was frustrated more than once with people who should "know better." This made me consider this: Imagine if we really did treat people the way we want to be treated.

I'm using Advanced Bionics for my implant
Instance #1: The soft spoken, mumbling receptionist at the surgeon's office. I spoke up and told him that many patients in his office were deaf. Don't shout, but look us in the eye and speak a little louder.

Instance #2: The surgeon asked my husband questions instead of me! I couldn't lip read him as he was facing the hubs. I looked at him and said, "ask ME!" He knew it was faster to ask Steve...and he was explaining something technical. Doesn't matter; ask me.

Instance #3: Phlebotomy. Leading me to the room, talking to me with me behind her. I spoke up and told her to check my chart: I'm deaf. I need to see her face.

Instance #4: Xray. Guy was in next room pushing the button asking me questions and probably telling me to take a deep breath. I have no idea.

Seriously...do we even think about other people and how they need to be treated? Imagine if we did. Imagine if we put ourselves in others situations for just a few minutes and figured out what we needed to do to make life comfortable, happy, and caring for each other.

John Lennon says it like this:

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one.

Jesus says it better: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Matthew 7: 9-12--with explanation scripture).

Imagine if we all tried that!

4 comments:

  1. Great perspective. I think empathy is so lacking in our culture. I hope your surgery goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my- this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing and I do think we need to consider and learn to be sensitive to others. Sometimes we are just ignorant and need someone to help us along in understanding! Imagining the possibilities with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I would have come completely UN-glued in your shoes if I had experienced such disrespect! In college I took American Sign Language as my "foreign" language. It was taught by the funniest and most amazing young woman, who was born deaf. As part of our course requirements, we had to give community service hours that required us to use our sign language skills. I chose a half-way house that had many deaf financially and educationally struggling residents. It was the most humbling experience of my life, and taught me a great deal about the deaf community. I am excited for your new journey, and hope all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear more of your experience with getting your CI. I'll be getting my second one soon. The surgery was fast and the recovery was smooth. I was amazed at how well I felt afterward.

    I too am a Southern Girl. From SC, living in NC.

    Recently I had to have an x-ray, and the technician was so amazing. He enunciated his words well so his lips were easy to read. He was great at talking straight at me and even giving some hand signals. He would get everything ready, run out and tell me to hold my breath, then run back take the x-ray, then run back and tell me to breathe. I was actually more comfortable than I've been during x-rays when I could hear.

    Unfortunately, this is the exception and not the rule. I told him how well he works with a deaf person, he looked surprised that everyone wouldn't try. He was a gem, in a field of rocks.

    great post.
    thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete