Friday, May 10, 2013

Five Minute Friday--Comfort

Comfort--what does it mean? As an English teacher, I tend to analyze words.

My crazy boys--huge source of comfort!
 Comfort can be a noun. In my 50's, I'd like to live a life of comfort...have "enough," not too many unexpected surprises, be able to help my kids. Problem is, my idea of "enough" and God's is rarely the same!

Comfortable is an adjective. I need my jeans to be comfortable. I need to be around people I am comfortable with. They need to be comfortable around me. Some people are weirded out being around anyone with a disability, and I am deaf. They get frustrated that I can't hear. Sorry about that; nothing I can do to fix that. I decided (yesterday, actually) that I am not going to be "on" 100% of the time. I'm not going to be so fixed on following every conversation. It's exhausting. The attention that is necessary to lip read and use closure skills all day long wipes me out. I took a 3 hour nap after work several days this week! I'm choosing to be comfortable with my disability.

Comfort can also be a verb. This is my favorite use of the word. Easter weekend, all my  boys came to see me...they came to bring me comfort. They were worried about me because my hearing loss had suddenly gotten far worse and I was now "deaf." I could see the worry on their face, but they came to bring me comfort. What awesome, tender-hearted young men. I think we all made each other feel a little better, sharing in the struggle and the encouragement that God means it for good. Romans 1:12 says: When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. What a gift it is that we can do that for each other!

So, I bring a challenge to you, as well as myself today: are you seeking comfort, or do you seek to comfort?

4 comments:

  1. Wear your jeans today, and find comfort in the fact that we are almost done! As a fellow English teacher, I find comfort in the smiles of friendly faces, and you always bring me comfort! Have an awesome Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! I like the way you described the many uses of the word comfort - as a noun, adjective, and verb! Great writing. I really enjoyed.

    I too am comfortable in soft, old jeans! Hope you have a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friendship brings me comfort! Love your postings, too.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I am so comfortable with you, my new friend!

      Delete