Friday, April 12, 2013

Five Minute Friday--Here

I've been thinking about "here" lately. More precisely, I've been thinking about the homophone "hear," because I can't. But the two are related.

There is a tendency to get caught up in the "if only-s" of life or the "when-s." When the baby is weaned, life will be easier. When the toddler is potty trained, life will be better. When the kids start school, I can come up for air. When my husband gets a job, I won't be as stressed. Before long, you realize you've wished your life away. Instead, we need to live "here." Find contentedness in where you are right here, right now. The apostle Paul said in Philippians 4:11-13: I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

 Have we learned that? Have I? What is your "here" that you struggle with? My "here" is that I find myself to be a (very young) 50 year old woman who has recently lost her hearing. I am worried about keeping my job, getting the insurance company to approve a cochlear implant, getting people to repeat themselves, one day hearing my grandchildren, learning sign language.....the list goes on. Yet (and this is the really great part), my friend Cindy reminds me that even with imperfect (or really cruddy) hearing, I can still hear my shepherds voice. That's good stuff! So, I choose to live here--where life is imperfect, struggles continue, and problems exist. This is what we're called to do; one day, we'll be there, where all is perfect, there are no struggles, and problems do not exist. That's good news! But for now, I am here, and excited at the prospect of figuring out how to make the best of my here.

How are you doing with your here?

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully said!! thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story sounds interesting. Loosing a sense like your hearing must be so disorientating. I loved reading your post. Happy Friday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally came across your blog from a Facebook post. I can really relate to a LOT you have written. I'll be 69 in May. I became high partial legally blind Oct. 2003, and had to get HAs (hearing aids) Dec. 2005, for a moderate "cookie bite" HL (hearing loss), which has gotten worse. I'd joined SHHH (Self Help for Hard of Hearing) about 35 years ago to try to help Mother and me with Daddy, as there was no OSHA then and his job was in the steel mills, so he became severely deaf. The HAs back then didn't do much more than amplify sounds. SHHH had articles that gave us all 3 a lot of coping skills. When I had to get HAs, I was told about the HLAA (see www.hearingloss.org). Turns out that is now the name of SHHH! I'm a member and have learned so much from the magazines and the conventions (which are also a blast!) - coping skills in various places (classrooms, out to dinner, worship, concerts, etc.), new technology, advocacy, etc. With sight and hearing problems, and age (groan!), it also affects my walking and balance (yet I am going on a cruise to Alaska this summer)! I'm not ashamed of my glasses, so why be ashamed of my HAs? I wear dangly things from www.hayleighscherishedcharms.com on my HAs, and have 3 pair of "Ear Gear" (hot pink, pink/orange swirl, royal blue with cords and a hook so that I don't lose them) to protect them from wind and rain when I'm out somewhere, etc.! Yeah, I've had to learn coping skills, but I'll be as independent for as long as I can be. I live alone, sometimes ride the city bus (Birmingham, Alabama), sometimes a friend takes me places (for which I pay or treat to a meal if they let me). It's been a real fascinating journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you live in Georgia. There are a few HLAA chapters in Georgia (Atlanta, Augusta), and I know the state HLAA prez there, who is funny, as well as knowledgeable! They have meetings every 2 months - speakers, etc.. There's also a chapter in Chattanooga (if you live nearer NW Georgia), etc.

      Delete