Thursday, December 26, 2013

How's the new ear?

As an elf, I could hear the bells on my costume!
In an attempt to be "real," (as opposed to Pollyanna) I submit the following update on my hearing journey:
  • I have been very happy w/ how I was hearing w/ the implant in my better ear. Since the other ear was pretty much dead, I decided to implant it as well--nothing to lose.
  • I've struggled trying to get rid of an echo/reverberation with several more mappings than normal. It's still there. UGH!!!
  • Surgery was Dec. 4 and I was activated 2 weeks later. The second activation was not "rockstar" like the first--which I'd anticipated, since it was so dead. However, I do hear speech...it's just "warbled."
  • After surgery, my map on my first ear was very screwed up...had a very hard time hearing/understanding. It could be from the procedure or it could just be it's screwed up.
  • At activation, the audi attempted to adjust the other ear. It's not there yet, but it's better. 
  • A week into the new ear and I keep jumping every time I realize that I'm hearing out of that side!
  • I am very anxious to be "there." I am not where I want to be and realize I am greedy and selfish and want to have good hearing now. When I read about someone doing well, I am happy for them and also jealous that I am not there. I confess this up front--sorry if you are disappointed in my admission.
Hearing my family this Christmas was great. I can have conversations around a dinner table, not just w/ the person next to me. The cochlear implant is the best gift I have ever received. At this point, things are not perfect...but I am confident they will continue to improve over time and next Christmas I will hear even more. Anyone who is reading this trying to decide whether or not to get an implant, you cannot imagine how much better hearing is with it than a hearing aid. Getting the implant was the best decision for me...check with your doctors and audiologist to see if this is something that will benefit you. You have no idea how much you're missing and how much better life can be. To all my cyborg friends: Happy New Ear!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading my blog and commenting. While mine is just beginning I feel I do have a lot to offer people who have CI's. My social life was gone for a long time after I lost my hearing and I worked so hard to get it back. It may seem strange but my life got better after I went deaf.

    ReplyDelete