Friday, August 23, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Last

This school year has started out with a series of lasts...

My son's last first day of school.

Last first day of school!
My last PTA curriculum night.

The last 18 years have totally flown by. I wish the little boy days had lasted longer. Now my sons are all nearly grown. I can't believe it's time to be searching for colleges for the last one.

But they cannot; it's not the natural order of things. Our love and relationships last, but childhood has a stopping point--for us, it's time to move on. And, really, that's ok...he's ready (I am not). He knows this. He knows I do not want him going far away for college. He also knows my love for him has me putting aside what I want and looking toward what he wants. He knows I'll help navigate the college journey. I am there for him...through all of his lasts (and my lasts).

My sons bring me such joy. I am a blessed mom.

Childhood doesn't last though. So, I cling now to something that does. The word of God: The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God lasts forever.”

So, as I bundle up my child for all the lasts he faces this year, I cling to a promise of God: "Train up a child in  the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it."


If you are facing some "lasts," with your sons (and daughters), I hope you can share in the joys they are feeling. It's sad for us moms...we have been their suns and they, our planets...but this is the natural order of things...and the joy and love we've created in our little universe will last.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reflection. My firstborn just turned a year old, so I'm at the opposite end of the journey from where you are, but I know I'll be on your end all too soon, judging by how quickly this first year went by! I just love your wrap-up thought, "...and the joy and love we've created in our little universe will last."

    ReplyDelete