Sunday, July 21, 2013

I wanna be a Rock Star!

I am five days away from activation of my cochlear implant. I am so excited and terrified at the same time. Are my expectations too high? Are they reasonable? In the cochlear implant (CI) community, we have terms for the different types of activations: (Actually, we just made some of these up.)

1. Rock star--voices are clear from the moment it's switched on
2. Country music star-- every thing sounds a little bit twangy.
3. Marching band-- big sound but with a lot of background noise.
4. Bar music-- loud but cant make out the music or conversation

5. Electronic mush--a jumbled mess of unintelligible sounds

Obviously, I want to be a rockstar!!!

 I've been thinking so much about sounds lately. Probably because post-surgery, I'm more deaf than ever. It's normal to lose residual hearing during surgery, so I am not surprised to be totally (I mean 0 sound) deaf in my left ear. Even with the new electrode, which should preserve some residual hearing, I have nothing. This is just a post op issue from swelling and blood accumulation. It should change when I am totally healed.

Here are some things I'm looking forward to hearing--after #1, no particular order:
1. Voices of my family & friends
2. Birds
3. Rain
4. Inquisitive students
5. Snarky students
6. Musical theater
7. The radio
8. The doorbell
9. Oven timer (no more deaf cookies--those are the ones I burn when I don't hear the timer)
10. Sermons
11. Tennis line calls
12. Cicadas and frogs

I've had several people tell me my journey could be the basis of a new book (my first book is linked here). For a while I thought, "No, there are too many CI stories out there." However, everyone's story is different. If my story makes a difference for someone and helps just a little, then it's worth telling. So, I guess this is me going public...that this fall, after activation, after starting school, after embracing the new common core curriculum, after starting sign language classes at GPC, after "helping" #3 son get his act together for college apps, after going to Rucker for Matt's pilot graduation, after...after...after...I will start my book! In the meantime, if you think about it and/or so inclined, please think happy thoughts and say a prayer for my activation on Friday. I wanna be a ROCKSTAR!

14 comments:

  1. Every morning around 7:00, from now through Friday, go outside and turn west (and a little bit south). Can you feel it? Prayers for health, healing, hearing, comfort, and peace are heading your way. Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that. Bless you for taking the time to pray for me. =)

      Delete
  2. Whatever you hear on activation is a miracle - and it gets better from there. I've chronicled my CI experiences, through my books and blog - perhaps take a moment to read through some entries as you await your activation day. www.arleneromoff.blogspot.com
    Wishing you a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, How did I miss this part of your story? Praying that you will be a ROCK STAR! You can get to my blog by clicking my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how you missed it...it's all I write about! It would be like me missing that you adopted an older child from China! =)

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to your future writings and your list growing.

      Delete
  4. Lisa, I totally understand how you have been feeling for awhile because Meredith was like that the first year of her life. She missed all the sounds and was delayed in hearing the simple things in life.I will never forget sitting at the table at our house in Meadow Trace eating lunch with the windows open and Meredith pointing at the sound of the birds. Tears came to our eyes. A few minutes later, the door bell rang and she sat up and pointed. More tears of joy that she could now hear the sounds that we took for granted. I am praying that all of the sounds in life come back after the activiation and you have your life back! May God bless you with hearing and being able to live a normal life again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, been following your hearing journey for a few months. I am where you are, I will be activated on the 25th. I miss a lot of the same things and am so hungry to hear them, family voices, dogs barking, birds and most of all, I want to hear my grandson play his violin. Simple little things mean so much. I am praying for both of us for "Rock Star" activations. I wish you luck in your future, will pray for you, and believe me will be thinking of you on Friday. I enjoy reading your blog, Hearing Journal and Facebook. Keep it up and start on that book. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, Your blogs make me feel like I am on this journey with you!! I read you list and thought about how we take the little things for granted.. one of my favorite sounds is that of a long, soft rain... Praying for Rock Star status!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck to you Lisa! I hope you are a Rock Star too but remember, it's just day one and things will change. It's not always a forward motion, sometimes with mappings there are set backs but every bit is worth it all! To me, patience is the hardest part of it all and whether you are a patient person or not, you will learn to be. LOL This is a true miracle and I can't wait to read about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa - I can't wait to read future posts about what you are able to hear. So excited for you!

    Shanna
    http://LipreadingMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way for a Rock Star activation, Lisa! Mine was more of a country star, but after almost 2 months, I am hearing things I hadn't heard for literally decades. Yes, birds, cicadas, rain ... each and every one are amazing and cherished. I can't wait for TV and radio to sound clearer, but I am patient and I am WORKING on the rehab every day. It just keeps getting better and better, as it will for you, too. Keep smiling - the world of sound awaits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck! Although, I'd leave cicadas off that list - Huge, flying cockroaches - nooooooooo thanks!

    BitcoDavid
    http://deafinprison.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to hear them! I do want to add wind chimes. I got crazy looks at Hobby Lobby today because I rang all the chimes trying to find one I could hear. The one w/ giant pipes has a low enough tone for me...but none of the others.

      Delete