Friday, March 29, 2013

Broken (for Five Minute Friday)

It is Good Friday--the day my savior took on the sins of the world for ME (and you). He did this so that if we would believe in Him we would have eternal life and be in relationship with Him on this side of eternity. Before he was nailed to the cross (which He would have done even if it was just for me--staggering thought), He sat with his disciples and shared a meal. He told them as he broke the bread that it represented his body--broken for them.

My body is broken, too. Well, my ears are broken. Over the last 5 years, I've had a progressive hearing loss which has gotten progressively worse. In the last few weeks something has happened to make it get far worse. I am now considered "profoundly deaf."

I am a very social person. I love to talk, visit, chat, meet new people, share stories--but deafness separates you from people. Most people, unless they really love you a lot, do not want to repeat themselves umpteen times. Being broken is keeping me from people--and my heart is hurting over this. At the same time, I have an amazing sense of peace. My newly found deafness did not catch God unaware. It did not happen while he momentarily stepped off the throne to check on the people he really likes. He really likes me (see above; he would have died for me if I was the only one). If Jesus was broken for me, could it be he wants me to be broken for Him? What does it mean to be "broken for Him"?

Michael Stampley sings:

Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for
Brokenness is what I need (gotta be broken)
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want for me, for me

So take my heart, and mold it
Take my mind, transform it
Take my will, conform it, to Yours, to Yours, O Lord

Matthew 11:15 says: "Whoever has ears, let them hear." I have ears...but they are broken. Why? I do not know. I do know that God calls us to brokenness.  So, I start with the ears, and perhaps, with the grace of God, the rest of me will follow.

http://lisajobaker.com/2013/03/five-minute-friday-broken/

6 comments:

  1. I'm hopping over from Lisa-Jo's place.

    I am praying for your hearing right now.

    God bless you and have a wonderful Easter.

    God loves you. ;-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really likes me (see above; he would have died for me if I was the only one). If Jesus was broken for me, could it be he wants me to be broken for Him? What does it mean to be "broken for Him"? - this is such a profound thought! The Lord has put you on a unique journey. He hasn't taken away your voice and your mind or your heart. this sounds like a very interesting pruning process. I encourage you to keep writing, you have a story to tell. I have broken places in me, not sure I can go there on my blog though. Brave words from a wonderful lady that I greatly admire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you and your heart. Giving thanks in the hard is the eucharisteo of the breaking of the bread. May you hear God's voice calling to you when you can't hear anything else. I have seen that separation that can happen so often. I used to teach kids that were deaf - before they'd had the chance to learn the language and have those sounds burned into their memory. I feel you may have a profound work ahead of you (pun entirely intended). God knows the plans He has for you and they are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy...I feel that way too. I feel like something really big is on the horizon.

      Delete